Wednesday, May 16, 2012

We Met the Pope!

+

Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted introduces Kevin and I to Pope Benedict XVI




Every 5 years (or so), bishops from the world are called to Rome to make there visit ad limina apostolorum to meet with Vatican officials and the pope to discuss the needs of there diocese and to get updated on what is happening in the Church on the international level as well as learn about and see firsthand what the Vatican is working on.










When a bishop has his meeting with the pope, he is permitted to bring with him one priest or seminarian with him to meet the pope. Since we have two bishops, both Kevin and I had the tremendous privilege to kiss the pope's ring, greet him, and receive a rosary from His Holiness.


I couldn't bring myself to say anything other than "Thank you" after a moment of awkward silence.


What impressed me the most was seeing how the pope is at heart a very simple (pretty short, too) German priest who, though 85 years old, continues to keep a very busy schedule (he had a meeting with ambassadors from third-world countries right before his meeting with the bishops).


The whole experience was very surreal... I met one of my greatest heroes of all time. But he's not just some famous guy. He's the leader of the Church that I hope to spend my whole life in service of; he's the living successor of St. Peter the Apostle; and he's my spiritual father and teacher.

Viva il Papa!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment